Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Discussion about a Thinker vs. a Doer

 Although I would probably consider myself more of a thinker than a doer, the distinction between these two is not clear so in some ways I am a portion of both. I am not usually very impulsive and preferred to plan each step before I take it. For example, if someone asks me to come to their club after school, I am unlikely to say yes immediately but will more likely say "possibly" or "probably". I usually need at least twenty seconds to a minute to decide whether I actually want to go, whether it is beneficial to go, or whether I even can go based on current priorities. Also, when planning out my schedule for each coming year, it often takes me a long time to really decide what I want to do. In fact, I spend almost all of my time thinking or arguing in my head with actual dialogue. The reason I cannot entirely be called a thinker, and in fact nobody really can, is that eventually, thought leads to action. While it is possible for someone to spend most of his life in indecision, or to go from one rash decision to the other, these are rare extremes. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. Whenever I am thinking about school subjects or any topics of interest, I more greatly appreciate tangible results that come through "doing" something rather than just abstraction. The key in this balance as in many similar comparisons is to find the proper balance. To use Shakespeare as an example, Hamlet spends several days considering what to do about the message he has heard from the ghost of his father. Although Hamlet's father does go to great lengths to prevent his son from endless waffling, Hamlet demonstrates that at least when he has some prompting he can stimulate himself to action in a few days. When it comes to such a momentous decision, this is completely reasonable. In fact, meanwhile, Hamlet has been gathering more information to help him in his decision. This style of calculated action has much more merit then a whimsical lifestyle. As long as one can make up one's mind within a span of time comparable to the extent of the issue, and, just as importantly,adhere to it, any necessary delays will have been worth their time.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very thorough analysis of the Thinker vs. Doer argument. It is apparent that no one can "entirely be called a thinker" because there are very seldom situations where people consider their options and do not act upon them. It seems as though the Thinker vs. Doer argument is won by a combination of the two. It is best for people to analyze situations before acting upon them and not be impulsive. But this is only to an extent, because they must act upon them in a reasonable amount of time. Hamlet seems to have found a good balance between the two of these concepts, and so his approach is much more rational.

    ReplyDelete